2011 miles ticker

The Largely Irrelevant Weight-loss ticker

Thursday 25 February 2010

The Diet from Hell!

Shortly before Christmas, I was prescribed a course of antibiotics originally intended for carthorses. They made me feel so ill, I ended up not completing the course. The problem cleared up.

Not, it seems, before the equine medication had completely stripped my digestive system clean of anything beneficial whatsoever, leaving just 'bad bacteria' and Candida behind. Cue increasing malaise and general feeling rough.

"Hmmm", says physician, "we need to clear that up. Rather than medication how good are you at keeping to diets?" Stupid question really, I mean, look at me! Nevertheless, I am attempting the 4 week "Diet from Hell" in a vain attempt to starve the lodgers in my alimentary canal before I starve myself.

On this regime, I am NOT allowed:
Anything with yeast in it (marmite, bread, beer....)
Any easily digested starchy carbs (rice, potatoes etc)
Alcohol
Sugars of most descriptions (including fruit juice)
Anything cured, fermented or malted
Tea & Coffee
Dairy products
Refined grains

But I can eat:
Onions & Garlic
Anything Cabbagey (yippee)
Salads & Fresh Veg
Wholegrains
Meat
Fish
Eggs

Not a lot of choice really, but I shouldn't complain. After 10 days of Shredded Wheat for Breakfast, Crudites & Houmus for lunch, and Chicken with wholegrain rice in the evening, the scales are proclaiming me to be 3.6kg (8lbs) lighter.

If I can stand to repeat the exercise, or change habits altogether, I might actually make target number 1. Problem is, without the carbs, I hardly have the energy to walk to the turbo, never mind get on it.

Its only 4 weeks. Its only 4 weeks. Its only 4 weeks.......

4 comments:

  1. That's pro peloton style commitment to a diet - inspiring stuff Clive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you well, nice to see you blogging again. Half a stone down already. Well done but that diet doesn't look fun. No treats at all?

    ReplyDelete
  3. None, nada, zilch. If I do, it's effectively back to square one and I have to do it all again.

    ReplyDelete