2011 miles ticker

The Largely Irrelevant Weight-loss ticker

Sunday 21 March 2010

Mixed fortunes

Thursday's pronouncement was that I am not yet fully diet free, though I may relax its stringent rules, especially on ride days. (I may have taken advantage of that a little today....)


3 more weeks of tablets, but that should see me clear. All I have to do then is continue to lose weight.......


Yesterdays intended 150km ride fell by the wayside......so we did it today. And what a day! Foggy to start, glorious sunshine for the rest of it. My wife came out with us, and even considered doing the whole route before common sense prevailed. Given my state on finishing, she was absolutely right.

I spent much of yesterday fettling. I fixed a Carradice to the seatpost, and fitted the crudracer guards to the Trek for today's ride so that I could assess suitability for LeJoG. It appears the crudracers will be great in wet weather, but with minimal clearance on 'cruddy' March lanes, they fill up with crud which rapidly become a very effective drag brake. That apart, I think they'll be fine once the Winter grot has dissipated. The carradice was filled with heavy stuff I didn't need to provide a proper feel (and additional training), and appears to be fine. I shall be LeJoG-ing on the Trek for speed. Whether the Human-Bicycle Interface can survive may be questionable.

Today's route took us out of Tamworth, through the Staffs lanes beyond Burton, and up to a first control near Alton Towers. Since it is sufficiently early that the park is still closed, it was pleasantly quiet. Additionally, on the way, we had splendid views of the Derbyshire Dales, before plummeting down to Rocester. The amateur naturalists also spotted Curlews, and the elusive English Partridge, not its imported European cousin. Educational stuff indeed.

Then, after the control, the 'fun' started. Anyone who has ever ridden a Geoff Cleaver Audax knows to expect 'fun'. In this case, it was the next section to Cannock Chase, and more particularly the climb of Greendale. This is not the Greendale of Postman Pat. This one is EVIL. Not only is the road steeply chevronned on the map, but it is covered in potholes, gravel, and various forms of excreta. At least these fill the worst of the potholes, but the whole climb had to be taken seated to avoid spinning the rear wheel. That set the stage for the remaining section which, while not as bad, took its toll on the tired legs. We did at least get good views over the Wrekin towards the Welsh border and we are early enough in the year that the following ford had not had time to become green with weeds, and could be safely negotiated.

Cannock Chase was as steep as I remember, though we did get up onto the top a way I had not ridden before. Good climb, I'll be back. The remaining 50km was thankfully flatter, though I felt stronger as the ride progressed.

Eventual finish was in just over 10 hours, including cafe stops (plural) for 99 miles ridden. Not a century, but that will come in next weeks Cheshire Cat. I hope I'm ready.

1 comment:

  1. Going very well Clive, I think that's an outstanding effort. You guys are giving me a much need kick up the backside with the mileage you put in.

    ReplyDelete