2011 miles ticker

The Largely Irrelevant Weight-loss ticker

Thursday 7 January 2010

Caning it

In the midst of the 'bleak midwinter' it would be very easy to hit the sofa and stay there. Lets face it, I've had plenty of practice at doing just that.

Not so this year (at least thus far). The turbo is set up overlooking the snowy wastes, and I have hit it 4 times so far this year (every other day). When I get round to it, I will program the equivalent of a ramp test, so I can judge what my maximum output is, but until then, I'll just pretend to be content with steady base miles.

That said, tonight's 25km was supposed to be steady, but I somewhat lost the plot with 2km to go. I came over a bit Bradley Wiggins (in my mind at least) with the last 2km in 3:00 dead at an average wattage output of 322. I will admit that my heart rate was at its theoretical maximum of 174 for the last 30 seconds but I feel great now. Perhaps this training stuff might actually work?

I've already come to the conclusion that the most difficult part of training is getting changed in the first place. Once you've done that it's quite easy to just get on with it.

Can't wait for sunshine and dry roads, though.

5 comments:

  1. Good going Clive. When you use the turbo do you use your Madone? if so do you use different tyres or put on a different rear wheel than you would use on the road?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, an older Halfords Carrera Aluminium framed road bike.

    I currently rip up my old road tyres on the turbo rather than buy turbo specific ones

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Clive - like the new blog. When are you doing your lejog? Is it an organised trip or you doing it yourself? I have always wanted to do it but wouldn't have a lot of time - 5 days would be about right for me. Will be following this with great interest.
    Good luck with all of your goals - I feel success already.
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Clive,

    It's been tough getting any road miles in hasn't it?! It sounds like you have a much fancier turbo than me. No wattage output on mine, presume that's a built in function?

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  5. As far as LeJoG goes, I will be doing it at best with one other peson. If he cries off, I will be doing it alone (with Twitter by my side). The ride is going to be self organised, but in line with the Audax UK requirements for a 1400km ride (minimum average speed 12kmh including stops). So, just under 5 days and currently planning the hotel/YHA stops for maximum comfortable sleep, but there won't be any sleep before Warrington (605km).

    The Turbo is a TACX Fortius I bought 3 years ago when training for the Etape. Close to top of the sensible range with lots of bells and whistles, including real-life video which will come into play very shortly. Catch you later, I'm off up the Galibier

    ReplyDelete