2011 miles ticker

The Largely Irrelevant Weight-loss ticker

Wednesday 27 January 2010

There are mermaids in my fridge

luring me with their siren-like song towards the jagged rocks of cheese and biscuits upon which many a diet past has foundered.

Or at least that's what it feels like now that my body is craving carbs (effectively craving anything edible) after successfully commuting both ways in the last 24 hours. 80 miles added to the ticker has to be a good thing but crikey doesn't it get cold in January?!

I managed to leave work before 5 yesterday, helping to avoid most of the traffic on the 'B' road out of Stratford, getting into country lanes before most of the lemmings had left their desks. Things were OK until about 5:30, then the temperature plummeted and I became painfully aware that the two pairs of socks I was wearing were not really up to the job.

My mind was distracted from complaining about my feet about 20km in when I was almost de-throned. Not, as you might expect, by a vehicle, nor even human error, but by a rampaging feral badger. I was cruising downhill, minding my own business, when there was a huge rustling and breaking of branches in the hedge to my left. Said badger apparated into the road in a flurry of fur, teeth and claws and promptly proceeded to set about me for being in its way. Swift evasive manoeuvres left it trailing in my wake, stood in the middle of the road with a "come back here and try it, mate!" look on its face.

Thankfully, the rest of the ride passed incident-free, and I got home in 2:48 for an average of about 14mph. Not spectacular, but the use of the Supernova on the Dynohub does create about 10 watts of drag, which tends to add up over distance.

All too soon, the radio alarm proclaimed 5 a.m. and it was time to set off again. I'm not the best in the early morning, evidenced by walking into the partially open garage door. Thankfully, I had already put my helmet on, so no real harm ensued. -3c when I started. -3! Who, in their right mind, rides 40 miles to work when its -3? Answer: Anyone who left their car at work yesterday and doesn't have a choice.

Initial progress was slow, but improved as it got light and I turned the dynamo off, and I was uplifted prior to Stratford as a Barn Owl flew out of a copse and flew down the road in front of me for 100 yards. You don't get that in a car on the motorway. 2:54 for the journey back to work, mainly due to my own fatigue, but still under the 3 hours I always set myself. I really could have done with fewer meetings today though, staying awake was a struggle.

I'm off to bed early now. Best not to go into the kitchen, I can hear singing coming from the fridge.....

No comments:

Post a Comment