2011 miles ticker

The Largely Irrelevant Weight-loss ticker

Monday 25 January 2010

Little & Often

About this time last year, I was in full Audax mode, completing 3 events in January totalling about 350 miles.

Unfortunately, that was all I was doing, and without training in-between, those miles were of little benefit. With the regime threatening to slip, I managed to get out and do 30+ miles on Saturday but 5,000 in the year will not do itself, so action is needed.

This Sunday is the delayed Whitegate Christmas Audax, a low key event with little support, but a total of 115km (71 miles) towards the cause. Mrs H will also be along for her longest ride to date. It is perhaps worrying at this juncture that her bike is threatening to misbehave. Her bottom bracket is clunking, and needs to be serviced (imagine at this point, if you will, a Sid James 'Hurr-Hurr' Carry on Cycling type laugh).

Joking aside, the Trek is going to see the nice man at 'local' bike shop tomorrow, possibly for a hollowtech transplant/upgrade. Therefore the plan is:
1. Take bike(s) to work in car
2. Deliver bike to bike shop
3. Leave car in work car park
4.Cycle home
5.Cycle back on Wednesday morning
6.Pick up bike
7.Take bikes home in car

This will be my first ever January commute, and will add valuable miles to the January cause. It will also enable me to test the upgrades to my Supernova E3 dynamo light which is now repaired and upgraded back from Germany.

So what? A commute to work and back. Problem is, it's 40 miles each way.

Therefore, by Sunday, I should have exceeded January 2009's total of 350, a month in which I rode 2 x 200km audaxes. Another object lesson (if I ever needed one) that regular exercise and training is the only way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment